My first mockup I created was based with design cues from this image:
A letter for a San Diego hotel, something that I thought worked really well because it looks very luxurious and has a very good quality appearance. This is what I want to represent in my self-promotion pack so I set about designing the packaging myself, you can see it here:
Inside I created a little booklet to tell the client what I do (above), the front page shows the logo while the second page contains the contents of the rest of the package, a third page shows an image of me with a quote of a famous designer and the fourth page is a little cheesy with line from the song “Call me maybe” by Carly Rae Jepson. As you can see it says “Here’s my number; (number) so call me maybe”. This was my initial design but after further research which has already been posted I realised a lot of this was irrelevant. The design is going to be of a front of an iPhone so it will be reshaped, secondly the logo will become a smaller visual on the front page as the main concept will like google search in a web browser. The second page will now instead show all the skills that I am capable of. The third page has completely changed as I realised that by quoting someone else in my book it makes me seem less important which is not the effect I want to have so I have created my own sales line to further advertise myself and this will be placed over an image of a laptop. The final page will have contact details but if I want portray myself as a quality service, I shouldn’t have any cheesy lyrics so I have decided to drop those and add in alternative methods to contact me like my twitter and blog address. The second design is in the stage from paper to digital and also has the correct content:
The only issue with the final version is that the phone is on the backside, this is a printing mistake and will be fixed by the final edition.
The next step was to create the final mockup of the insert and also create the mapped version of them so they were ready for print. When on my visit to Wyke Printers, I showed them my designs and then discussed with them any changed they though would need to be made to my designs. On the actual folds because I have used multiple pieces of paper and glues them together to get the design I wanted, I have folds and joins where I don’t need them, by creating a map I can then print it out on one piece of paper then cut out shape and then fold and glue in the relevant places, this would not only make it much easier for mass production but would also create a much better experience for the client. Below are the maps of my designs and also the final mockups of my booklet.
I decided that I wanted to make the iPhone look a a little more professional, so I removed all of the real images of the iPhone and added my own details in for the microphone and then made the back look like an actual iPhone too. You can see the new version below alongside a real image of the iPhone for comparison.
Here you will see the complete set of different versions that I created starting with my initial design to completely finished version. You will notice that the first iPhone, second iteration was actually printed backwards, so doesn’t look right, this was fixed for the final version.