After creating the letter, I thought I would also design the envelope it would be sent in due to its’s unusual shape. I started with miniature versions due to it’s normal size being so large and created the different iterations, then I printed it out large scale. I have written the numbers 1-5 on the actual versions I have handed in so you are aware of which order they were made.
Firstly I created the initial mockup out of paper creating the envelope and insert to go with it. I later decided this is the format I wanted the letter to be in because of it’s shape compared to what I then considered to be the actual marketing piece. I was reasonably happy with this step but was then somewhat forced to make some slight changes to the sizes due to decisions I had made when creating the letter design itself. This meant I now had a longer and slightly thinner envelope.
Mockup number two was when I digitalised my designs and got the basic map of the envelope (I learnt this was required when creating envelopes from my trip to Wyke printers). I made sure that I had purple as the primary colour, the logo, address and stamp area.
When creating mockup number three, I noticed the fact that the letter would be upside down because it would be coming from the left rather than the right so I changed this. I moved the semi circle to the correct position to allow the client to easily take out the contents of the letter. Then I flipped the colour side with the logo, I created a white box for the address area so that the font could stay purple then I added the stamp area. I also inverted the colours of my logo and reduced the opacity so you can faintly see my logo under the stamp.
The fourth mockup I made was simply to add colour to the flaps as then I had given them some bleed.
The fifth mockup was after I realised I had added the wrong tone of purple to the design and it didn’t match the other material I had produced, I also changed the stamp area size to match the specific measurements of a stamp. I also added a line of colour to the top and the bottom of this version as then it felt like it blended with the back colour better. You can see all the different mockups below and also the final version.
I am very happy with my overall product as it looks professional but like my promotional pack, I think if I had the opportunity to do this again I would print it on card rather than gloss as i feel the texture takes away from the experience. I would also add the full logo with words aswell as I don’t think it works without it.