Now I had completed and printed my final versions for my self promotion pack it was time to create the packaging that would be used to send the material out to the client I decided to save paper and time to make mockups but instead of printing real sized versions I would print them to fit on an a4 piece of paper. I had already created a mockup with paper glued together to give me an idea of what it would look like.
Next was to create a digital version of this, something I had learnt from my trip to Wyke Printers was that if I were too create my designs professionally I would create a map for my printouts this would mean there are less visible edge and creates a better user experience. The first mockup can be seen below.
I have got the overall grid sizing correct and have lines for the necessary folds in the relevant places. This version allowed me to understand any required changes before creating the final version.
In my final version I have created, I have resized the address on the back, added a darker purple to the front then also created a cutout area on the front so it is easier for the user to access the stuff inside.
Below are all the different versions I have created oldest to newest from left to right.
Having printed out a real version of the design, gluing it together, in turn allowing me to put the marketing pieces inside, I have realised a couple of flaws that I would probably change if I had the opportunity to do it again. Firstly I dislike the texture of the glossy paper, I think it feels cheap and not as ‘luxurious’ as the card option I could have chosen, also I think it would have been better to include my full branding on the front with the words “AKB Design” along with the logo. I printed it without the words because I believe it would simpler and fit in with the ‘less is more’ approach to design but I have since changed my mind and I would add the wording in now. The final mockup to look at in person looks a little rough around the edges, I believe this is because of the lack of equipment when putting the final piece together. I have left marks where I have tried to score on the outside, the way round this would be to print on the other side and score that side instead. Also, one of the inserts was slightly too big for the packaging so I had create a different fold for the ‘lid’, you will see now that there is a white section on the back because of this mistake. Other than these reasonably small issues, I am very pleased with my final mockup as it fits in with the general over theme, has a maximum of three colours throughout and only used two fonts. Finally if I was to create this properly I would adjust these small issues and then use a professional press to apply the cuts and scores for me so I had a cleaner finish, i would research into better methods of joining them together so they would lay flat.