Trying to find an illustrator

Since my project is so complex, with characters that are the main face of the brand, it is vital I get them perfect. I know my own skills within illustrator are not good enough yet to draw what I need therefore the search for an illustrator began.

Looking online I found a multitude of different designers offering their skills online. Many of them didn’t fit the requirements for the style I was looking for. I neeeded my characters to;

– Be very simple

– Be colourful

– Have the ability to be customised with items like hats

– Be drawn in illustrator so I could access the files

This proved trickier than expected, with 80% of professionals not responding to my offer of work. It’s important to ensure all illustrators are paid for their work, and they should know how much you are going to profit from the use of their work so they know how much to charge.

I spoke with multiple agencies with very little luck and decided to advertise in university among my peers. This is the poster I put together;

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 08.41.31.png

Eventually after weeks of searching, I found a relvent artist who was able to do the designs of the characters, first on paper and then after in Adobe Illustrator. I gave the artist the brief and she started drawing sketches of what the frogs could look like. See this post for the details on the sketches (https://akbrodie.wordpress.com/2016/10/30/trying-to-find-an-illustrator/).

Selecting the Logo

The Selection Process

I decided to create the website logo to make it look truly professional.

These are the initial designs that didn’t get chosen:

MOCKUPS

It was a tough choice turning down some of these ideas as they were designed to represent a roofing company, middle right looked to clip-arty, second one down on the left didn’t work as you shouldn’t have gaps in a roof, so having a gap in the logo just was a silly idea. While I thought it was a good idea to have a visual with the text, I didn’t think any of them worked enough and that they all overcomplicated the design therefore I chose this design;

Final Logo